Here at 32 Flags, we’re proud to provide weekly updates of the National Women’s Soccer League as well as a Standings and Schedule page. FIFA Women’s World Cup stars are all back to their regular club sides and the playoffs are just around the corner…go and support women’s club soccer!
This week saw the official elimination of our first team from the playoffs. Farewell Boston. On the other end, Seattle officially clinched a playoff birth. Congrats!
- Alex Morgan absolutely ripped the NWSL for their hotel accommodations for players, citing bed bugs and mold at the team hotel in Kansas City. These problems build on the turf lawsuit launched by the US Women before the 2015 FIFA Women’s World Cup. If women’s soccer is going to keep growing, then FIFA and the NWSL need to take care of it’s players. I mean, remember who has three stars on their jerseys!
.@NWSL there's no other way to address continuing problems. Hotels have been unacceptable. For ex. :Bed bugs/mold @ Adams Mark Hotel in KC.
— Alex Morgan (@alexmorgan13) August 17, 2015
- The NWSL announced that the 2015 NWSL Championship match will be played on Thursday, October 1 at Providence Park in Portland (probably a good choice). The game will kickoff at 9:30 p.m. ET / 6:30 p.m. PT and be broadcast on Fox Sports 1.
- Another game on Fox Sports 1 this week! Houston v. Seattle, Friday, August 21 @ 8:30 p.m. ET. Be there!
August 10 – 17 Results
Chicago Red Stars draw Sky Blue FC, 1-1 — Video Link
- Chicago Goals: Adriana Leon (15′); Sky Blue Goals: Samantha Kerr (35′)
- A very evenly matched game with occasional moments of dominance from Chicago’s Christen Press. Chicago really should have taken the three points here, and they may rue this chance with the playoff battle heating up.
Washington Spirit draw Western New York Flash, 1-1 — Video Link
- Washington Goals: Diana Matheson (16′); WNY Goals: Lynn Williams (90′)
- The Spirit just couldn’t get in rhythm this game, exemplified with Crystal Dunn’s five offsides offenses.
FC Kansas City def. Portland Thorns, 3-0 — Video Link
- KC Goals: Mandy Laddish (60′), Amy Rodriguez (63′), Erika Tymrak (76′); Portland Goals:
- Heather O’Reilly had a good week, scoring goals for the USWNT and getting an assist here. This loss hurts Portland a lot for the playoffs, putting them three points behind Kansas City with them playing remarkably well.
Seattle Reign def. Houston Dash, 2-1 — Video Link
- Seattle Goals: Merritt Mathias (22′), Rachel Corsie (59′); Houston Goals: Kealia Ohai (15′)
- A devastating loss for Houston. Their slide continues, and a playoff spot looks increasingly unlikely.
Washington Spirit def. Chicago Red Stars, 2-1 — Video Link
- Washington Goals: Megan Oyster (2′), Crystal Dunn (90+’); Chicago Goals: Melissa Tancredi (82′)
- This was the win the Spirit needed. An immense stoppage time goal from MVP candidate Crystal Dunn. They aren’t quite clinched for the playoffs, but this victory combined with Portland’s loss means they can clinch as soon as their next match.
This Week’s Fixtures
Friday, August 21:
- Seattle Reign @ Houston Dash, 8 EST — LIVE STREAM LINK
Saturday, August 22:
- Portland Thorns @ Sky Blue FC, 7 EST
- Boston Breakers @ FC Kansas City, 8 EST
Sunday, August 23:
- Western New York Flash @ Chicago Red Stars, 5 EST
[table id=NWSL /]