After previously relying on a witness statement that said “nothing happened” sexually between Las Vegas Raiders 24th overall draft pick Gareon Conley and a woman who says Conley sexually assaulted her, Conley’s lawyer told NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport that the two had “consensual sexual event.”
Text from Gareon Conley's lawyer: "When I referenced a 'consensual sexual event,' I was NOT referring to intercourse. That did NOT happen."
— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) May 2, 2017
In the police report, the woman claims that Conley pulled her pants down and performed a sexual act while she told him to stop. When police arrived at the hotel room, Conley was not there. However, one of the people in the room said that “Conley and [the woman] we relaying (sic) on the bed together but nothing happened.” He also said that “Conley never touched her and the white girl got mad because she got kicked out of the room.”
This is the first time since the April 9 incident that anyone on Conley’s side has admitted that there was some kind of sexual contact. The statement by Conley’s attorney, Kevin Spellacy, who previously said the woman is being “opportunistic,” directly contradicts the witness’s account.
The woman maintains that she was sexually assaulted, and she was administered a rape kit after the alleged assault. Her attorney told Cleveland.com that she has been struggling to deal with the traumatizing events of that night and the media coverage surrounding the case.
Charges have not been filed against Conley as the police investigation continues. The Raiders chose to draft Conley despite the ongoing investigation.