The Jackets gave it a great run, but at the end of the day people were only rooting for them because they hate the Penguins. When the time came, a second-rate team with second-rate players like Brandon Dubinsky couldn’t run with the big boys. It doesn’t matter what is on your tombstone; it only matters that you are in the ground.
- Averaged 27:19 of ice time per game.
- 8 assists leads all defensemen in playoffs.
- His 2 shorthanded assists is a big hidden stat and, for us, pushed him past Niskanen for this top spot. Generating offense in a situation when you’re not expected to.
- His +7 is leading everyone in the NHL.
Goat of the Series
He was terrible. Just awful in this series. The guy refused to stay out of the penalty box.
- All five of his penalties came in Games 3 through 6.
- Penguins only scored on one of the power plays, but they kept the Jackets from building any momentum.
- All told, he was on the ice for 7 goals against. Yikes.
- He only managed 2 points in the six games after getting 51 in 75 games during the regular season.
Game that turned the tide
Malkin and Crosby joining forces changed the series. Instead of teeing off on Sidney Crosby every shift, Brandon Dubinsky couldn’t afford to do so with Malkin lurking. The Jackets had no answer for this, and the Malkin-Crosby topic will be all the rage in previews of the second round.
GIF OF THE SERIES
What’s next for the Penguins?
The Penguins will get the winner of the Rangers/Flyers Game 7. Expect the Penguins to build off of Marc-Andre Fleury’s first series win since the six-game Ottawa series in 2010.
What’s next for Columbus
Dubinsky may have earned C for the Jackets next year, and overall Columbus put themselves on the map with a great run. They should have a healthy Nathan Horton, and some cash to throw around in free agency in the offseason. Ryan Johansen put his name in the convo of top 15 players in the NHL.
- Kris Letang rebounded from a rough start this series. Good to see. Didn’t really hear his name called much in the final couple games, which is good. The Martin/Letang pairing could morph into something really great.
- Columbus blogs were really disappointing. Same retread “Crosby sucks, is a whiner” trash.