Travel nightmare stories are one thing, but imagine your headphones exploding while you’re wearing them? That’s a nightmare regardless of context, and it¬†happened to this woman on a flight from China to Australia.

An airline passenger was sleeping when her wireless headphones exploded.

Fairly graphic images here:

According to Engadget, the Australian woman explained she woke up at the sound of the explosion and felt the burning sensation on her face. She promptly removed the headphones and tossed them on the floor, and flight attendants doused the headphones in water.

The lithium-ion battery melted down to the floor of the plane, leaving the crew with a messy cleanup task. Plus there were nine hours remaining on the flight, and the entire plane smelled like burning electronics. Not a fun trip!

This incident may be a rare one, but if it can happen once, it can happen again.

Maybe flying with traditional wired headphones might be the better call going forward.

[Engadget]

About Kevin McGuire

Contributor to NBCSports.com's College Football Talk, Athlon Sports and The Comeback. Host of the No 2-Minute Warning Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher Radio and iHeart Radio. FWAA member and Philadelphia-area resident.