Chicago police are investigating a sexual assault allegation that involves Pittsburgh Pirates infielder Jung Ho Kang. The incident allegedly took place last month when the Pirates were in Chicago, according to the Chicago Tribune.
Kang has not been charged with a crime, and his status with the team has not changed as of right now.
The Chicago Tribune detailed what the police gathered in their investigation thus far:
According to police, the Chicago woman met Kang through Bumble, a location-based dating app that allows only women to initiate conversations. Kang invited the woman to his Magnificent Mile hotel room on June 17, hours after the Pirates had lost a day game to the Cubs.
The woman told investigators she arrived at Kang’s room at the Westin Hotel around 10 p.m. and he served her an alcoholic drink, police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said. She said she blacked out about 15 to 20 minutes later, then drifted in and out of consciousness as he sexually assaulted her.
She told police she did not fully awaken until she was in a taxi and on her way home, according to Guglielmi.
The 23-year-old woman, who is not being identified because she is an alleged victim of a sex crime, went to Northwestern Memorial Hospital to have a rape kit done on June 19, Guglielmi said. She filed a formal complaint with police 10 days later, sources said.
Kang, a South Korea native, signed a 4-year deal with the Pirates in 2015 worth $11 million. He was third in the Rookie of the Year voting last season, but missed the final month of the season with a broken leg. He was not in the Pirates lineup on Monday.
The Pirates issued a statement in response to questions from the Tribune:
“We have been made aware of the allegation that has been made against Jung Ho Kang,” Pirates President Frank Coonelly said in a statement in response to questions from the Tribune about the sexual assault investigation. “We take allegations of this type extremely seriously. Pursuant to the Joint MLB/MLBPA Policy on such matters, this matter is exclusively before the Commissioner’s Office at this time. We have and will continue to cooperate fully with the Commissioner’s Office. As a result of the ongoing police investigation, we cannot comment further at this time. We have also advised our staff and our players that they should not comment on the matter either. We all need to be respectful to the police investigation of a very serious allegation.”
Major League Baseball released a statement saying that they recently learned of the allegation as well, per the Tribune:
“Our understanding is that police in Chicago are investigating this very serious matter,” the statement said. “Major League Baseball will monitor the progress of this investigation closely and will respond fully as additional facts emerge.”