Trevor Bauer in the Dodgers' dugout on June 22, 2021.

Following the June 29 news that Los Angeles Dodgers’ pitcher Trevor Bauer (seen above in their dugout on June 22) was under police investigation for assault, and the June 30 detailing of the graphic physical and sexual assault claims against him, there have been a lot of developments. The Dodgers initially said they planned to keep starting Bauer as normal, but MLB intervened with a seven-day administrative leave ruling, which may soon be extended. And former Dodger Dave Stewart said he wouldn’t attend the team’s planned 1981 title celebration over their inaction on Bauer. And on Wednesday, the Dodgers announced that they won’t hold their planned “Trevor Bauer Bobblehead Night” on August 19, and that they’ve removed all Bauer merchandise from their online store. Here’s more on that from Bill Plunkett of The Orange County Register:

The Dodgers have canceled the Trevor Bauer bobblehead night promotion scheduled for Aug. 19. Bauer merchandise is also no longer available for purchase at the team store, on the team’s website or the MLB website.

A Dodgers spokesman said the decision was made because the team “did not feel it was appropriate” to have the promotion or continue to sell the merchandise “while investigations continue by Major League Baseball and the Pasadena Police Department.”

Bauer’s representatives have indicated that they plan to dispute the claims against him at a formal hearing on July 23. A full statement on his position from his co-agent, Jon Fetterolf, can be found here. But it’s definitely interesting to see the Dodgers move on from a merchandising plan around him. And while it obviously makes some sense for them to go away from the planned bobblehead night in August, it’s still notable that they’re doing that.

[The Orange County Register; photo from Orlando Ramirez/USA Today Sports]

About Andrew Bucholtz

Andrew Bucholtz is a staff writer for Awful Announcing and The Comeback. He previously worked at Yahoo! Sports Canada and Black Press.