One of the UFC’s most popular and troubled fighters is once again on the wrong side of the law.
Nick Diaz, who last fought in January of 2015, was arrested and charged with felony domestic battery and misdemeanor domestic battery on Thursday night after an incident in Las Vegas.
According to MMA Junkie, 12 units made their way to the scene to deal with a combative Diaz, and his alleged victim was taken to a hospital.
A person within the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department identified Nickolas R. Diaz, 34, who is listed in an online in-custody search for the Clark County Detention Center, as UFC fighter Nick Diaz. The person spoke to MMAjunkie on condition of anonymity because the person wasn’t authorized to speak on the matter.
Diaz has been charged with felony domestic battery by strangulation, as well as misdemeanor domestic battery for the alleged incident.
Officer Larry Hadfield of the LVMPD office of public information told MMAjunkie that the alleged victim was female. Hadfield said officers responded to a call and were dispatched to a Las Vegas residence at approximately 7:20 p.m. PT.
The 34-year old’s bail is set at $18,000, and cannot be paid until after a 9 AM hearing on Saturday. Diaz’s younger brother Nate, also a UFC fighter, is under investigation for an alleged assault of fellow UFC fighter Clay Guida at an MMA show in California earlier this month.
The elder Diaz was involved in an infamous brawl at a Strikeforce event in Nashville in April of 2020, which resulted in a three-month suspension and a fine. He’s also failed three drug tests in his MMA career, all for marijuana, with the most recent failed test coming after that January 2015 fight against Anderson Silva, leading to a suspension that ended up lasting 18 months after various appeals. He was also suspended for a year by USADA after failing to provide them with his whereabouts, and that suspension ended last month.