Brooklyn Nets guard Spencer Dinwiddie has tested positive for COVID-19 and is symptomatic.
Dinwiddie told Shams Charania of The Athletic that he has “experienced symptoms, including fever and chest tightness,” and said that it’s “unclear on whether or not [he’ll] be able to participate in Orlando.”
“Over the past few months, I have been diligent about protecting myself and others from COVID-19 by following all designated protocol and quarantining,” Dinwiddie, 27, told The Athletic. “I was ready and prepared to rejoin my teammates as we were to be an early entry team in the resumed season. I flew private to return to New York, passed multiple COVID-19 tests over my first several days in New York and was able to participate in a couple practices within the first week.
“Originally, we were supposed to be one of the teams to enter into the Orlando bubble early, but training camp got switched back to New York and unfortunately I am now positive. Given that I have experienced symptoms, including fever and chest tightness, it is unclear on whether or not I’ll be able to participate in Orlando.”
Dinwiddie has averaged 20.6 points and a team-high 6.8 assists for the Nets this season. Brooklyn currently has the seventh-best record in the Eastern Conference, despite Kevin Durant missing the entire season due to a torn Achilles and Kyrie Irving suffering a season-ending shoulder injury after 20 games. Dinwiddie has played a huge part in keeping the Nets in the playoff race.
So, if Dinwiddie can’t be part of the NBA restart in Orlando, that would be another huge loss for the Nets.
But the basketball side of things is far secondary to the health and well-being of everybody right now, and Dinwiddie’s symptoms are concerning. And this news comes one day after Utah Jazz center Rudy Gobert said that he still hasn’t regained his sense of smell, three and a half months after becoming the first NBA player to test positive for COVID-19.
Additionally, Nets forward Wilson Chandler informed the team that he’s opting out of playing in Orlando to spend more time with his family.
Despite rising COVID-19 numbers in Florida and across the country, NBA commissioner Adam Silver said last week that the league will proceed with the restart in Orlando, with the season scheduled to restart July 30. The Nets’ first game back is July 31 against the Orlando Magic.
Update: Spencer Dinwiddie announced that he will sit out the NBA restart in Orlando. He said that he had “another positive (COVID-19) test yesterday” and still has symptoms.
After another positive test yesterday and considering the symptoms, @BrooklynNets, team doctors and I have decided that it would be in the best interest for me and the team that I do not play in Orlando. I will be supporting the guys every step of the way! #AudienceOfOne
— Spencer Dinwiddie (@SDinwiddie_25) July 7, 2020