The NFL owners are meeting in Houston over the next few days in regards to which team(s) will move to Los Angeles.
The Los Angeles Times reports from the meetings that a “consensus is building within the league” for the San Diego Chargers and St. Louis Rams to share a stadium in Inglewood, CA.
On the brink of a vote that could return the NFL to Los Angeles, a consensus is building within the league for the St. Louis Rams and San Diego Chargers to share a stadium in Inglewood.
Multiple league officials and owners not involved with the Inglewood project, or the competing proposal in Carson, say there is momentum to pair the two franchises in what one owner describes as a “transformational” project backed by the Rams.
However, the USA Today reports that the Chargers are have “zero interest” in the idea of joining the Rams in Inglewood, and are committed to the plan of joining the Oakland Raiders at a new stadium in Carson, CA.
The San Diego Chargers say they have “zero interest” in switching alliances at the 11th hour of the Los Angeles stadium derby and remain committed to join the Oakland Raiders with a new stadium in Carson, Calif.
“On December 7, the Chargers made clear in writing that we had zero interest in the Inglewood project, and nothing has changed since then,” Chargers special counsel Mark Fabiani said Monday in a statement to USA TODAY Sports. “Our L.A. stadium project in Carson has the most central location, the best leadership with (Disney chief executive) Bob Iger, and the ample parking and easy freeway access to give fans the best possible game day experience.”
Switching alliances now also could get messy. The Chargers and Raiders have a legal agreement with one another and have spent significant resources to develop their $1.7 billion plan in Carson, which covers 168 acres.
The NFL has said it will support only one new stadium capable of being shared by two teams.
Chargers owner Dean Spanos on if he’s open to teaming with Rams owner Stan Kroenke in Inglewood: “Right now, my focus is Carson.”
— Nick Wagoner (@nwagoner) January 12, 2016
Raiders/Chargers dinner just finished. Mark Davis declined comment but when asked if he was still confident in Carson he said “Absolutely.” — Nick Wagoner (@nwagoner) January 12, 2016
It’s going to be interesting to see how this all plays out, and it’s sure to leave at least one organization — or at least their owner — unhappy.