After serving an 11-game suspension and paying a $5 million fine over allegations of sexual misconduct and sexual assault, Cleveland Browns quarterback Deshaun Watson will make his return to NFL action on Sunday against his former team, the Houston Texans. Many of his accusers will also be on hand to witness the game and send a message.
As reported by ESPN, around 10 of the women who accused Watson of sexual harassment and assault during massages plan to attend the game at Houston’s NRG Stadium, per attorney Tony Buzbee.
About 10 of the women who accused Deshaun Watson of sexual harassment and assault will attend the Browns-Texans Sunday for Watson's return from suspension.
Their attorney Tony Buzbee said they want to make a statement: "We're still here. We matter." https://t.co/UAbVARwQiK
— ESPN (@espn) November 29, 2022
The women are attending “to kind of make the statement, ‘Hey, we’re still here. We matter. Our voice was heard, and this is not something that’s over. [Sexual harassment and assault] happen every day in the United States,'” Buzbee told ESPN.
25 women represented by Buzbee filed lawsuits against Watson over allegations that he exposed himself, touched them, or kissed them without consent during massage therapy sessions. 23 of them settled the lawsuits in August. Meanwhile, 30 women who had accused the Texans of knowing what Watson was doing and turning a blind eye to it settled with the team as well.
Watson has long denied that he did anything wrong though he did provide a series of questionable apologies and explanations in the lead-up to his suspension. The Browns have also stood by Watson and offered strange explanations of their own.
We’ll see if CBS puts a spotlight on the accusers or mentions the allegations against Watson. Amazon did a poor job earlier in the season when they covered the Browns.