The 2020 NFL regular season is just 6.3 percent complete, but we’re already monitoring the league’s top MVP candidates. Here’s a look at the 10 players best aligned for MVP runs based on Week 1 performances.
1. Baltimore Ravens QB Lamar Jackson: He won this thing last season and is already this year’s highest-rated passer following a convincing Week 1 victory over a talented division rival. No way you can knock him off the top.
2. Seattle Seahawks QB Russell Wilson: It’s insane that Wilson has never earned an MVP vote, but that will change if he keeps this up. Dude destroyed the Atlanta Falcons on the road by completing all but four of 35 passes in an impressive Week 1 victory.
3. Green Bay Packers QB Aaron Rodgers: Is Rodgers back? He hasn’t been himself the last couple of seasons, but he looked inspired while grilling the division rival Minnesota Vikings out of the gate. He and Wilson are tied for the league lead with four touchdown passes apiece.
4. Kansas City Chiefs QB Patrick Mahomes: Healthier than last year, Mahomes remains a favorite to win his second MVP in three seasons as a starter after an extremely strong albeit not-epic performance in the Chiefs’ prime-time opener.
5. Jacksonville Jaguars QB Gardner Minshew II: While the sophomore sixth-round pick’s ceiling might not be on an MVP level, you have to include a guy who completes 19-of-20 passes in an upset Week 1 victory.
6. Buffalo Bills QB Josh Allen: Allen took a big step forward with his first-ever 300-yard game as the Bills destroyed the New York Jets, and his potential should have him in this conversation. He just needs to prove he can sustain it, and two first-half fumbles were also a factor working against him.
7. Pittsburgh Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger: Coming off a significant elbow injury, Big Ben threw three touchdown passes and avoided mistakes in an easy victory over the New York Giants. That gets him into the early-season conversation.
8. Arizona Cardinals WR DeAndre Hopkins: This spot could also belong to quarterback Kyler Murray. Both were electric (Murray rushed for 91 yards and passed for 230, while Hopkins caught 14 of his 16 passes from Murray) in an upset victory over the San Francisco 49ers.
9. Las Vegas Raiders RB Josh Jacobs: Jacobs was the only player in the league to score three touchdowns in Week 1 as his Raiders beat the Carolina Panthers on the road.
10. Seattle Seahawks S Jamal Adams: The newbie brought a Legion of Boom feel back to the Seahawks’ defense in a monster Week 1 performance that included 12 tackles (two for loss), a sack. and a pair of quarterback hits.