Hello and welcome to The Cheat Sheet!
You know how sometimes you get towards the end of the week and you’re running out of steam but you pull it together for one last gasp just so you can make it to the weekend when you can actually start trying again?
Well, here we are. Let’s get through this. We’ve got a weekend coming our way.
Matt Moore loses no-hitter with two outs in the ninth
It’s been a pretty solid decade for the San Francisco Giants. They’ve won three World Series, of course (2010, 2012, 2014). They’ve also had a pitcher throw a no-hitter in each of the past four seasons. Matt Cain (2012), Tim Lincecum (2013, 2014), and Chris Heston (2015). Matt Moore was one measly out from make it five in a row on Thursday night when tragedy struck in the form of a single by Dodgers’ hitter Corey Seager.
A bloop singe to right field by Corey Seager ruins Matt Moore's no-hit bid. A Dodger fan responds accordingly. pic.twitter.com/Qk34GhkB70
— Arash Markazi (@ArashMarkazi) August 26, 2016
Moore was looking for a bit of redemption after getting traded from Tampa Bay to the Giants just a few weeks back. Not to mention that he missed most of the previous two seasons after Tommy John surgery.
Still, his 130+ pitch performance is still something worth noting, even if it’s a one-hitter instead of a no-hitter.
Of course, Dodger fans felt differently.
Dodgers fan after Corey Seager's bloop breaks up Matt Moore no-hitter. https://t.co/3hpzX02OhV
— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) August 26, 2016
Moore also owes centerfielder Denard Span a beer as the speedster made a spectacular defensive play in the second inning, racing to left-center field to make a stellar catch on a curving drive by Adrian Gonzalez.
— Brian Wood (@bwood1849) August 26, 2016
The Giants still won the game and are now two back of the Dodgers in the NL West.
Tony Romo got hurt again because of course
The Dallas Cowboys seriously just need to assume 11-year veteran Tony Romo just knows what he’s doing on a football field and doesn’t really need all that much practice anymore. That might be the only way they can ensure that their franchise quarterback stays safe before the NFL season starts and they have no choice but to throw him to the wolves.
The injury-prone Romo took a hit to the back during Thursday’s preseason game against the Seattle Seahawks, promptly hit the dirt and started writhing in pain. For a while there, it looks like it might be worst-case scenario time for the Cowboys.
— NFL (@NFL) August 26, 2016
In came rookie quarterback Dak Prescott and the Dallas faithful started praying. Looks like their prayers were answered…for now.
It doesn’t appear that Romo’s injury was severe and he even reportedly asked head coach Jason Garrett if he could go back in the game. We can only assume Garrett stifled his laughter.
These are 4 different pictures from 4 separate years: 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016 consecutively. pic.twitter.com/el6PsMHOKK
— Alexis Morgan (@alexiskmorgan) August 26, 2016
Good news for Dak Prescott, however, who is about to get #AllTheSnaps for the rest of the preseason.
Dak Prescott watching Tony Romo get injured like… pic.twitter.com/z6GYCT7o94
— The Fake ESPN (@TheFakeESPN) August 26, 2016
– The Oakland Raiders aren’t messing around with this potential move to Nevada. They’ve trademarked the Las Vegas Raiders name and unveiling a potential stadium site.
– The 2017 World Baseball Classic will be played in Los Angeles, San Diego, Miami and Guadalajara, Mexico. The semifinals and final will be held at Dodgers Stadium in Los Angeles.
– Ryan Lochte Trigger Warning! The embattled U.S. swimmer will be summoned to appear at a hearing in front of Brazil’s Justice Department regarding the incident from the Olympics. He was also charged with making a false report of robbery by Rio police and faces the possibility that the owner of the gas station he defaced will sue him. Thus concludes this Ryan Lochte Trigger Warning.
– Some fans want to change the name of Durant, Oklahoma to Westbrook, Oklahoma, which is very mature.
– Dear Christian Yelich, Kansas City Royals outfielder Jarrod Dyson would prefer it if you kept your home run attempts to yourself.
— MLB (@MLB) August 25, 2016
– Hey, the trailer for Skip Bayless’s new show is here! Hey, wait, where are you going?
– Dave Lozo doesn’t understand Snapchat. Hear him out.
Jason Kipnis was ready to duke it out with Roughned Odor after a hard slide into second base. pic.twitter.com/5S4YC0A3dj
— Joon Lee (@iamjoonlee) August 26, 2016
AJ Ellis met with Clayton Kershaw in the dugout. He said was "absolutely devastated" to know he would never catch Kershaw again.
— Andy McCullough (@McCulloughTimes) August 25, 2016
Ellis described Kershaw as "shocked" by the trade. The two men wept together, he said.
— Andy McCullough (@McCulloughTimes) August 25, 2016
– A day after UNC confirmed that former Illinois coach Tim Beckman was serving as a volunteer assistant for the football team, the embattled coach is gone. Beckman left Illinois under the haze of an investigation that he pressured players to play hurt and influenced medical decisions. The change came shortly after UNC chancellor Carol L. Folt became aware of Beckman’s presence.
A fake news headline I wish was real
Tony Romo Enters Cryogenic Chamber Until Injuries Are Cured
One final glorious bit of procrastination
I believe they call that body control.