Joe Gibbs Kyle Busch

After months of speculation, it became official on Tuesday that Kyle Busch’s time with Joe Gibbs Racing was coming to an end and the NASCAR driver will move to Richard Childress Racing in 2023.

In his introductory press conference on Tuesday, Busch revealed that his new contract also allows him to race the Indianapolis 500 for a Chevrolet-supported team. As part of the announcement, he took a swipe at Joe Gibbs, owner of his long-time NASCAR team.

“I can do it. Any Chevrolet IndyCar teams, call me up,” Busch said according to Matt Weaver of Racing America, adding that his wife was fine with that and “the only guy that said no was my former boss.”

Tuesday, Gibbs released a statement of his own, wishing Busch lots of success and taking the high road.

“Kyle has been a major part of our history and success at Joe Gibbs Racing. We are thankful for all his contributions to our organization over the years,” Gibbs said. “When you look at all that he has accomplished already, it is truly remarkable, and we know someday we will be celebrating his Hall of Fame induction.”

While some would argue his best days are behind him, Busch is one of the most successful NASCAR drivers racing today, having won 56 races under the Gibbs umbrella, not to mention being a two-time Cup series champ.

Gibbs’ statement and Busch’s big decision certainly garnered a lot of strong reactions around the NASCAR world.

[Joe Gibbs Racing]

About Sean Keeley

Along with writing for Awful Announcing and The Comeback, Sean is the Editorial Strategy Director for Comeback Media. Previously, he created the Syracuse blog Troy Nunes Is An Absolute Magician and wrote 'How To Grow An Orange: The Right Way to Brainwash Your Child Into Rooting for Syracuse.' He has also written non-Syracuse-related things for SB Nation, Curbed, and other outlets. He currently lives in Seattle where he is complaining about bagels. Send tips/comments/complaints to sean@thecomeback.com.