Former United States Women’s National Team soccer goalie Hope Solo was in the news for the wrong reasons earlier this year when she was arrested in March for suspicion of driving while impaired, resisting arrest, and misdemeanor child abuse after she was found passed out in her car with her two-year-old twins inside. Now, the soccer star has officially been sentenced.
Solo pled guilty to guilty to driving while impaired on Monday. The resisting and child abuse charges were voluntarily dismissed, according to her attorney Chris Clifton told the Winston Salem Journal. Solo surrendered her license, paid a $2,500 fine, and was given a two-year suspended sentence and an active sentence of 30 days.
Following the news, Solo released a statement on social media, calling her actions “easily the worst mistake of my life” while thanking her husband, mother, and fans, among others.
— Hope Solo (@hopesolo) July 25, 2022
It’s been a long road, but I’m slowly coming back from taking time off. I pride myself in motherhood and what my husband and I have done day in and day out for over two years throughout the pandemic with two-year old twins,” Solo said. “While I’m proud of us, it was incredibly hard and I made a huge mistake. Easily the worst mistake of my life.”
This event was not the first time Solo had a run-in with the law. Back in 2015, Solo was suspended from the USWNT when she and her husband Jerramy Stevens were pulled over and Stevens was charged with DUI. Solo was then arrested in 2016 after an altercation with family members.
Solo, however, indicates that she is ready to learn from her mistakes.
“I underestimated what a destructive part of my life alcohol had become,” Solo said. “The upside of making a mistake this big is that hard lessons are learned quickly. Learning these lessons has been difficult, and at times, very painful.”