Christian Ronaldo

Cristiano Ronaldo’s triumphant return to Manchester United will likely come to an end during the January transfer window.

Speaking to reporters Friday, United manager Erik ten Hag confirmed this week’s explosive media report that Ronaldo refused to enter Wednesday’s 2-0 win against Tottenham Hotspur as a substitute. The manager simply responded with “Yes” when asked directly, according to ESPN.

Ten Hag went on to say that Ronaldo had been warned about a previous incident in July when he left a preseason friendly early against Spanish La Liga side Rayo Vallecano.

“I am the manager and I am responsible for the top sport culture here and I have to set standards and values and I have to control them,” ten Hag said, according to ESPN.

“We are a team and in the team, we have values and standards and I have to control that. After Rayo Vallecano, I told [him] it was unacceptable but he was not the only one, but that is for everyone so when it’s the second time, there will be consequences.

“I sent a warning at the start of the season, next time there has to be consequences. Football is a team sport and you have to fulfill certain standards. And I have to control it.”

Ronaldo and United are next in action Saturday when they head to London to face Chelsea.

[ESPN]