Thursday was a busy day in the sports and pop culture worlds as Darrelle Revis was charged after an incident in Pittsburgh, the Celtics lost on a questionable call, woolly mammoths were in the news again, and Star Wars made a big announcement about Episode 8.
Darrelle Revis charged after altercation in Pittsburgh
While not all the details have come out about an incident in Pittsburgh this weekend involving Jets’ cornerback Darrelle Revis, we do know Revis is in an undesirable situation one way or another. While visiting friends and family, Revis engaged in a physical altercation with two men on the street, and he is now being charged with robbery, terroristic threats, conspiracy, and aggravated assault.
Sources: Police officer saw Revis speaking with two men. Officer came back & men were knocked out on the ground. Revis was gone.
A report from local CBS affiliate KDKA-TV quoted Revis’ lawyer saying the cornerback was assaulted by at least five people. However, police say two men on the street recognized Revis on the street and approached him. The situation turned into a “verbal argument,” and the two men believe they were punched unconscious before waking up to police.
Both men went to the hospital, and one had broken bones around his eye. Revis’ lawyer said the cornerback also needed medical attention after the incident.
The Boston Celtics lost a game on a brutal call
It appeared the Boston Celtics came away with a solid 103-102 road victory over the Chicago Bulls on Thursday night at the United Center. The TNT score graphic agreed (see above).
But it turns out a foul was called on Marcus Smart during a last-second shot attempt by the Bulls’ Jimmy Butler. Butler would go to the line and hit both free throws with 00.9 seconds left, and the Celtics would miss a shot on the ensuing possession. What looked like a Celtics win turned into a 104-103 Bulls win.
That’s a tough way to lose.
Woolly mammoths could be making a comeback thanks to science
Woolly mammoths may roam the earth once again, and it could happen within the next two years (so it’s a race between that, a Trump impeachment, and the polar ice caps melting.). SCIENCE!
As we all learned from Jurassic Park, you can’t just recreate an extinct animal out of thin air. So Harvard geneticist George Church, the leader of this resurrection, is attempting to splice mammoth DNA into the elephant genome, and lab tests have already shown that cells can function normally with both animals’ DNA together, according to The Telegraph.
Here’s how Church explained it, from NBC News:
“By allowing cold resistant elephants or mammoths to repopulate the tundra,” Church says, “they will punch down the snow in wintertime allowing cold air to come in, and in the summertime they’ll knock down trees, which are very absorbent.” This will help the dead grass start to grow, he explains, and slow the release of carbon from the soil into the atmosphere.
“When you simulate this with a real ecosystem in Siberia,” he says, “the temperature drop is 20 degrees, which is really big deal in terms of delaying the release of carbon by melting.”
Star Wars made a big announcement about Episode 8… memorabilia is coming!
The next Star Wars movie entitled Star Wars: The Last Jedi is scheduled to be released on December 15th of 2017 and before that on September 1st, 2017 Star Wars fans will be able to purchase memorabilia, toys, books, clothes, and much more related to the new movie.
The announcement came from Disney and Lucasfilm on Thursday in regards to Star Wars Force Friday II, which will be the global event on September 1st to launch the newest line in Star Wars: The Last Jedi products.
rey's hair and holding a lightsaber, finn keeping the jacket, poe being poe… im shookt to the core pic.twitter.com/pWzotiEcCV
— kyra (@diegolvnas) February 16, 2017
The idea that Star Wars can make an announcement about releasing toys, clothes, books, and other merchandise seven months from now about a movie that comes out in 10 months is crazy. Then again, this is Star Wars and there is really nothing like it because fans will go crazy at any sort of news about the massive blockbuster franchise.
– What do Bill Walton, Dick Vitale, and Dave Pasch all have in common? Well, they called an NBA game together Thursday night! Feel free to read our recap of the spectacular broadcast here. Here’s a preview:
The conversation surprisingly quickly became about Lady Gaga. Keep in mind, this was during the game.
BW: “We had Stevie Tyler clothes, we had Alice Cooper’s head.”
DV: “What about Dolly Parton’s clothes?”
BW: “Madonna was there.
DV: “Oh, Madonna?
BW: “It was fantastic. Mick Jagger was there and it was awesome. What a day.”
DV: “Lada Gaga’s blowing Madonna away! are you kidding me?
BW: “Lady Gaga is awesome.
DV: “She is sweet.
BW: “What she did was electrifying at the Super Bowl.”
– One could make the case the star of Netflix’s Last Chance U wasn’t any of the football players or coaches, but instead Brittany Wagner. Wagner announced last week she’s leaving the school after eight years. We now know where her next job will be; she’s joined Mississippi-based chain Newk’s Eatery‘s Birmingham franchise as sales and marketing director for its five local locations.
"I will be leaving EMCC after 8 years to go work for Newk's eatery in Birmigham"
— Cole Cubelic (@colecubelic) February 15, 2017
– American Horror Story announced its theme for its upcoming season: the 2016 United States Presidential election. Guess who could be a character? Oh you know who, he tweets a lot about ratings and the NY Times, The President of the United States!
– Tim Hardaway has turned himself into a big LGBTQ advocate.
“When I said what I said . . . I still cringe at it when I think about it, and [it] still hurts me deep inside that I said something like that because I gave people an opportunity to hurt people,” Hardaway said in a recent phone interview. “That wasn’t right . . . each and every day when I talk to kids today and they bring it up to me or somebody brings it up to me, I say that was a very big mistake on my part.
“It hurts me to this day, what I said, and you know what? It’s going to hurt me for the rest of my life, because I’m not that type of person. I feel bad about it, and I’m always going to feel bad about it.”
– Sidney Crosby reached a major milestone on Thursday night.
– Former top college football recruit Blake Barnett originally went to Alabama, but has since transferred to Arizona State. Now with the Sun Devils, Barnett is snapping back at Nick Saban.
“A lot of backlash that I received from [the USC game] was that I came out nervous,” Barnett said. “I think you could ask just about every teammate and they’d agree that I wasn’t. But a certain coach went out to the media and said that I was and so I got that negative reputation from it.”
– The Liberty Flames are the newest FBS football team in NCAA Division I!
– North Carolina State announced it’s firing men’s basketball Head Coach Mark Gottfried, but not until the end of the season.
NC State has confirmed that Mark Gottfried has been fired as head coach. He will coach the rest of the season.
— Pack Pride (@PackPride) February 16, 2017
That’ll be awkward if the Wolfpack makes a crazy run and wins the tournament…
– Walmart is being sued for claiming a beer it sells is a craft beer when it isn’t in fact a craft beer. Seriously.
– You know the character in ads Chris Paul plays known as “Uncle Drew”? Pepsi wants to make a movie using that character.
– Vince Young wants to make a comeback. Yes, we’re serious about this one too. The last time Young appeared in an NFL game? 2011!
— Leigh Steinberg (@leighsteinberg) February 15, 2017
– Tony Romo thinks if he doesn’t play for the Dallas Cowboys next season, it’ll be because he’s released and not traded. Romo also thinks he can play 2-3 more seasons.
Source says Tony Romo expecting release, not trade, and believes he can start as #NFL QB 2-3 more seasons despite turning 37, injury history
— Ed Werder (@Edwerderespn) February 16, 2017
– Our own Shlomo Sprung
– Deflategate: The movie and novel based on that thing that happened.
A Random “The Office” Related Video:
This looked like it was so much fun to film.
One Last Glorious Moment of Procrastination:
Just go to this amazing website where you can make mashups of songs involving 50 Cent, Jay-Z, The Red Hot Chili Peppers, Green Day, and more.