Hopefully you had a lovely fourth of July and aren’t too hungover today. Here’s the Wednesday Cheat Sheet…
Gordon Hayward *finally* made his decision after hours of drama: the Boston Celtics
On Tuesday afternoon, ESPN’s Chris Haynes reported that free agent forward Gordon Hayward was leaving the Utah Jazz to sign with the Boston Celtics.
Free-agent Gordon Hayward plans to sign with the Boston Celtics, league sources tell ESPN.
— Chris Haynes (@ChrisBHaynes) July 4, 2017
However, that was followed with reports that Hayward had not made a decision.
Just spoke w/GH'sagent, says his client hasn't made a decision, is "upset someone would report that. He's trying to re-evaluate everything."
— A. Sherrod Blakely (@SherrodbCSN) July 4, 2017
And then came a report that Hayward had changed his mind four times in four days!
League source tells me "Gordon has changed his mind four times in the last four days"
— Tony Jones (@tribjazz) July 4, 2017
Naturally, this was mocked like crazy on social media, and fans dug up tweets of Gordon Hayward being indecisive. Example:
I can't tell which fabreeze I should go with #help
— Gordon Hayward (@gordonhayward) September 2, 2011
Finally, hours later, Hayward made it official through The Players Tribune that he’s signing with the Celtics.
Thank You, Utah. https://t.co/ICfocNeZfW
— Gordon Hayward (@gordonhayward) July 4, 2017
As Awful Announcing’s Andrew Bucholtz explains, the reports that Hayward hadn’t made up his mind may have just been a way of waiting until his Players Tribune piece could run:
“But the interesting question is if Hayward had his decision made all along and if the initial reporting from Haynes and others was accurate. That might mean that Hayward’s camp leaked the “he hasn’t made up his mind yet” take to try and keep some anticipation out there until his Players’ Tribune piece was ready to run. If so, there are some problems with that, as it essentially amounts to those sources fooling reporters into inaccurate reports. Of course, it’s also possible that Hayward really was rethinking things. That seems unlikely given the length of this piece, though:”
And he followed that up with this terrific tweet from Dan Wetzel:
So Gordon Hayward was conflicted and wrestling with the decision, yet he managed to own a 2100 word column on it. Legendary deadline writer.
— Dan Wetzel (@DanWetzel) July 5, 2017
So, yeah, that sure seems fishy. Whatever the case, Hayward joins the Celtics, and gives them a needed star to help make a run at the Cavs in the Eastern Conference. As for the Jazz? Well, it’s a pretty brutal loss and puts them in rebuild mode again. Their fans are already setting Hayward jerseys on fire, and using a #betrayward hashtag on Twitter:
— Jameson Golding (@Jcougar23) July 5, 2017
Joey Chestnut ate 72 freakin’ hot dogs
Competitive eating superstar Joey Chestnut ate 72 hot dogs at the Nathan’s Hot Dog Eating Contest. That’s a record. It’s also his record 10th title in the competition.
– Danilo Gallinari was sent from the Denver Nuggets to the Los Angeles Clippers in a three-team trade, and agreed to a three-year, $65 million deal with the Clippers.
ESPN story on Clippers reaching agreement for a three-team deal to land Danilo Gallinari on a $65M contract. https://t.co/FkUuOqK5GR
— Adrian Wojnarowski (@wojespn) July 5, 2017
– The Washington Wizards’ Otto Porter signed a max offer sheet with the Brooklyn Nets, which would pay him $106 million over four years. The Wizards have until Saturday to match, or else he joins the Nets (far and away the worst team in the NBA this past season).
RFA Otto Porter has reached agreement on a four-year, $106M max deal with Brooklyn Nets, league sources tell The Vertical.
— Shams Charania (@ShamsCharania) July 5, 2017
– New York Yankees rookie sensation Aaron Judge put a dent in a sign at Yankee Stadium with his latest rocket homer, which had a 118.4 mph exit velocity.
.@TheJudge44 leaves his mark. https://t.co/mOPsNBbgbE pic.twitter.com/hiNUM3Dw9I
— MLB (@MLB) July 4, 2017
– Andrew Benintendi had one hell of a game for the Boston Red Sox.
5 hits, 2 HR, 4 runs, 6 RBIs …
No one is having a better #July4 than @asben16. pic.twitter.com/cL0tWRoLuQ
— MLB (@MLB) July 5, 2017
– Tampa Bay Rays first baseman Logan Morrison is not happy with MLB’s choices for the Home Run Derby participants.
– This man did not have an enjoyable fourth of July:
Man uses fireworks to destroy bees nest and accidentally burns down his garage
– This compilation of Michael vs Toby moments just hit YouTube, thanks to The Office YouTube account themselves. If you’re a fan of the show, you’ll enjoy these seven and a half minutes.
– Amazing time lapse of fireworks over Los Angeles.
This is how many fireworks occur over Los Angeles on #July4th pic.twitter.com/oLM6OXTS5J
— How Things Work (@ThingsWork) July 5, 2017
One last glorious moment of procrastination
Here’s a unique job: