Steph Curry and Klay Thompson carry the Warriors to their 51st win, Xavier takes down No. 1 Villanova, and a girl is *very* good at doing exercise ball bounce backflips. We get to all of that and much more, here at the Thursday Cheat Sheet…
Splash Brothers prevent Warriors from a loss in Miami; Steph ties record for most consecutive games with a 3-pointer
With just over a minute to go on Wednesday in Miami, the Heat led the Warriors 106-104. And then Steph Curry hit a three.
With 40 seconds left, the Heat led the Warriors 108-107. And then Steph Curry hit a three.
Noticing a trend here?
The Heat had a tremendous performance, but Curry and his Splash Brother Klay Thompson proved to be too much, combining for a ridiculous 75 points in the Warriors’ 118-112 win.
As Warriors coach Steve Kerr said afterward: “That’s Steph and Klay. That’s what they do. When they both do it on the same night, that’s when we’re really tough to beat. And it shows you how good Miami was that we needed every point to win the game.”
— GoldenStateWarriors (@warriors) February 25, 2016
Steph also tied the NBA record for consecutive games with a three-pointer made:
And casually drained this 40-footer to end the first quarter:
This is how good Steph is right now: the makers of the video game NBA 2K16 don’t even know what to do with him.
You could make a good case that he’s the most improved player in the NBA this year… and he won the MVP last year. What he’s doing is just absurd.
No. 5 Xavier takes down No. 1 Villanova in college hoops
Hey, whaddya know: the No. 1 team in the country lost in college basketball.
Villanova: 7th loss on the road by #1 team, most ever by a #1 team
6th different #1 team to lose this season
— ESPN Stats & Info (@ESPNStatsInfo) February 25, 2016
Highlights of Xavier’s win over Villanova:
Unlike some of the other times the No. 1 team lost this season, Wednesday night’s Villanova loss was hardly a surprise. In fact, Xavier now has a great case to be No. 1 themselves:
The Musketeers now have the best record in basketball against Division I opposition at 25-3, including eight top-50 wins.
We had more top-10 teams lose on Wednesday, because of course we did in this wacky-ass college basketball season.
Wisconsin went into Iowa and stunned the No. 8 Hawkeyes:
While the Colorado Buffaloes took down the No. 9 Arizona Wildcats in Boulder:
– The San Diego Chargers are focusing on a new stadium downtown now. Pretty awesome news for San Diego-area Chargers fans — if this happens — after it appeared they may lose their franchise to Los Angeles.
– The NFL Scouting Combine is underway. Here are some things said on Day 1 by NFL head coaches and front office members.
– RG3 will not be back in Washington next season. What are some potential landing spots for him? If there’s a player that needs a change of scenery, it’s him. It will be interesting to see if he can look anything like the guy we saw in his rookie year with his new team.
– We frequently question the decision of players to leave college early for the NFL, but here is one case no one is going to argue about: Auburn’s Peyton Barber turned pro to support his homeless mother. Amazing story here.
– The Clippers shot 46 (!) three-pointers… and only scored 81 points. Lol.
Clippers shoot a team record 46 3’s, making only 13, in 87-81 loss to Denver at home.
— Dan Woike (@DanWoikeSports) February 25, 2016
– Yoenis Cespedes shows up to Spring Training in $367k customized Lamborghini Aventador. Wait, not done with this one: Cespedes let a Mets staffer use the car to go get a round waffle maker, because he doesn’t like square waffles. This is also the third fancy car Cespedes has shown up to Mets camp in, over the last four days. No one is happier to have a new contract than this guy.
– Dusty Baker keeps calling Bryce Harper “Royce”. He’s kind of a big deal to your team, Dusty, so might want to get that name right.
– Mike Trout says he wants to be “more consistent” this year. The same Mike Trout that is already the best player in baseball and is putting up all-time amazing numbers (as I dive into in that link) already, wants to be more consistent.
– THIS IS A BIG ONE: Man who legally changes his name to Bacon Double Cheeserburger has no regrets at all.
One last breath of gratuitous procrastination
I refuse to believe this girl is human.