It has been a tumultuous tenure for WNBA Commissioner Cathy Engelbert, but after her handling of a recent incident involving Caitlin Clark, it sounds like she may be on her way out.
Engelbert, who has served as the league’s commissioner since 2019, has faced some heavy criticism in recent months, from the league’s handling of the CBA negotiations with players to her apparent refusal to answer tough questions related to Clark and the growth of the league.
Now, after the way she handled a recent incident involving Clark, it sounds like there’s a chance that her days as commissioner are coming to an end.
Engelbert Has Faced Criticism
Ever since Clark entered the league and brought in new attention, Engelbert has faced mounting pressure from inside the league and out.
Pundits like Barstool Sports founder Dave Portnoy have called her a coward and labeled the WNBA as the “worst-run league in the world,” but it’s not just outside voices. Several players and coaches have called out the league’s leadership with WNBA superstar Napheesa Collier even declaring that the league has “the worst leadership in the world.”
Clark even joined that chorus during the offseason as she affirmed that Collier’s points were “very valid” amid the team’s CBA negotiations.
“I think what people need to understand, we need great leadership in this time, across all levels,” Clark said back in October. “This is straight up, the most important moment in this league’s history. This league’s been around 25 years, and this is a moment we have to capitalize on. Phee said it all with what she said, and I think the points she made were very valid.”
Criticism Heats Up
While Engelbert was facing mounting pressure and seemed to be on the verge of losing her job during the offseason, her hot seat seemed to cool down considerably after she helped negotiate a historic CBA deal that gave the players massive pay raises and still allowed the league to start on time.
Unfortunately for her, it seems like the hot seat is heating up again.
Engelbert came under fire again a few weeks ago for the way she handled the suspension of Phoenix Mercury forward Alyssa Thomas following the high-profile incident with Clark and her overall lack of communication about the incident. Now, it seems like Engelbert is receiving criticism from another side after she reportedly wasn’t planning to suspend Thomas at all.
According to a report from the Sports Business Journal, Engelbert was not planning to suspend Thomas for her role in the incident with Clark and had to be persuaded to do so by NBA Commissioner Adam Silver.
“Sources believe the fact Silver needed to persuade Engelbert is another sign she is likely in her final season as commissioner,” SBJ reported on Wednesday.
Between the criticism from players, the pressure from Silver, and her apparent refusal to answer tough questions in the media, it certainly seems like things are not going well for her.

About Dave Kelsey
Contributing author to The Comeback.
Recent Posts
‘Shouldn’t have happened’: WNBA takes accountability for targeting fans with anti-trans shirts
The WNBA is owning up to it.
Skip Bayless has ‘never seen anything like’ Angel Reese
"Can make you laugh or wince."
Articles
Five NFL breakout sophomore candidates for 2026
‘I am legit shocked’: SEC does not get a single first-place vote in AP Poll
Will the SEC drought continue?
‘I’m so far away from where I need to be’: Rory McIlroy admits he feels ‘lost’
"I've just got to keep working and hope it turns around a little bit."
Pablo Torre under fire for ‘trying to ruin people’s reputation’ after bombshell ESPN report
Should Pablo Torre be held accountable?