A Patriots helmet. Oct 2, 2022; Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA; A New England Patriots helmet sits on the field during warmups prior to the game against the Green Bay Packers at Lambeau Field. Mandatory Credit: Jeff Hanisch-USA TODAY Sports

A man is dead after suffering “an apparent medical event” in the stands at Gillette Stadium Sunday night. According to Boston Fox affiliate 25 News (WFXT), 53-year-old Dale Mooney was rushed to hospital after a medical event during the fourth quarter of the Miami Dolphins-New England Patriots game that night, and was pronounced dead just before midnight. 25 News’ Drew Karedes reported Monday night that a witness saw Mooney “get punched in the face by a man in a Dolphins jersey” before that medical event:

“First off, Mark, we’re not showing you the video captured by this witness because of its graphic nature. He says he saw Patriots fan Dale Mooney get punched in the face by a man in a Dolphins jersey before an unconscious Mooney was rushed away from Gillette Stadium in an ambulance.”

Karedes then relays a statement from Mooney’s widow, Lisa, and further describes that video:

“She says she was told that her husband was being taunted by several Dolphins fans during the game, leading up to a physical altercation in the 300 section of the stadium. Video sent to Boston 25 News by a witness, which we are not using in our report, shows security moving in to break up an apparent scuffle before Mooney lost consciousness.”

He then has witness Joey Kilmartin talk on camera:

“It more just looked like people grabbing and pulling at each other, and then at some point, a guy in a Dolphins jersey punched the victim twice in the face. And that’s when the victim fell behind, he fell into his seat in unconsciousness. …The guy got hauled away by police in a Dolphins jersey, and I think that’s kind of when everybody noticed something was wrong. A minute or so after, the guy still hadn’t made any movement, and it really didn’t look like he was breathing. …It’s definitely hard on people to see, it’s not anything anybody should have to see, somebody one moment in front of you live and then the next moment not.”

Karedes adds that authorities are investigating, and waiting on the findings of the medical examiner as to if the confrontation played a role in Mooney’s death.

There was also another incident of a fan falling, hitting his head, and suffering a cardiac arrest before that game. Off-duty firefighters provided CPR to that fan, and he reportedly left the stadium awake and alert.

[Boston 25 News]

About Andrew Bucholtz

Andrew Bucholtz has been covering sports media for Awful Announcing since 2012. He is also a staff writer for The Comeback. His previous work includes time at Yahoo! Sports Canada and Black Press.