The Warriors are on a roll, Russell Westbrook keeps doing ridiculous things, new trailers came out for ‘It’ and ‘Silicon Valley’, and some very good dogs are also very happy dogs. It’s go time at the Thursday Cheat Sheet…
Warriors overcome 22-point deficit to knock off Spurs in San Antonio
The highly anticipated (for the regular season, anyway) Warriors-Spurs game on Wednesday night looked like it was going to be a Spurs blowout victory early on, as San Antonio took a 29-7 lead in front of their home crowd.
So, consider that, and it’s quite stunning that the Spurts lost the game by 12 points. Golden State outscored San Antonio 93-65 over the final three quarters to come away with a 110-98 win.
Tweets from when the Warriors were down 22 to the Spurs early in the game Wednesday night https://t.co/DKZtEmk9BO pic.twitter.com/mpG4c2f0gh
— Freezing Cold Takes (@OldTakesExposed) March 30, 2017
The @warriors are 3-0 in the last 3 seasons when trailing by more than 15 points after the 1st quarter. pic.twitter.com/QtQdOegjaJ
— ESPN Stats & Info (@ESPNStatsInfo) March 30, 2017
So after all the panic following Kevin Durant’s injury and a three-game losing streak, the Warriors have reeled off nine straight wins.
The Warriors are now 9–0 since Klay Thompson signed this toaster (h/t /r/nba) pic.twitter.com/Ti8idqaMii
— Sports Illustrated (@SInow) March 30, 2017
And these last two wins came on a road back-to-back against the Rockets and Spurs, the (other) top two teams in the West.
The Warriors (61-14) now have a 3.5 game lead in the West with just seven games to go, so they almost surely locked up the top seed in the West — and top seed in the NBA — with Wednesday’s win. They’re finding their groove at the right time, and learning to win without Durant may make them even better when he returns in the playoffs. And if somehow he didn’t return, they’re still looking like the team to beat.
Russell Westbrook’s latest triple-double included 57 points
Russell Westbrook is absolutely absurd. Last night, he recorded his 38th (!) triple-double of the season in a 114-106 Thunder overtime victory over the Magic. And this one was particularly special, as it included him scoring 57 points!
Russell Westbrook sends it into overtime for the #KiaTopPlay as @okcthunder clinch playoff berth! pic.twitter.com/2dgYr4XtA1
— NBA (@NBA) March 30, 2017
Russell Westbrook records the highest scoring triple-double in @NBAHistory, as @okcthunder clinch playoff berth!#SAPStatLineOfTheNight pic.twitter.com/PLWiM2Gvy2
— NBA.com/Stats (@nbastats) March 30, 2017
Entire NBA from 1976-2016: Zero 50-point triple-doubles
2017 Westbrook: Two 50-point triple-doubles
2017 Harden: Two 50-point triple-doubles
— Ben Golliver (@BenGolliver) March 30, 2017
Russell Westbrook is now averaging:
We 74 games into the season now, this man is Godly
— Russell TripDubBrook (@Jhickness9) March 30, 2017
– Mets star closer Jeurys Familia has been suspended 15 games following a domestic violence arrest.
– Chipper Jones claims Greg Maddux used to pee on him in the shower. Moises Alou nods approvingly to that story.
– Alex Putterman and Ian Casselberry preview the AL West.
– Patriots owner Robert Kraft says he won’t draft Joe Mixon.
– A.J. Pierzynski is joining Fox Sports as a baseball analyst. This one is hardly surprising.
– Top 10 NBA plays of the night:
– Chance the Rapper is looking for an intern.
– Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos is now the second richest person in the world. This was inevitable.
– Santa Clarita Diet was renewed by Netflix for a second season.
– A teaser trailer for It was released (read more about it here)… and if you are terrified of clowns, you probably don’t want to watch this. The movie is based on Stephen King’s 1986 novel, which is an absolutely terrifying (and quite fucked up in some parts) 1,138-page novel. I read it when I was like 12 and that was probably not the best decision.
– Okay, so we need some humor after that. Here’s the new trailer for Season 4 of Silicon Valley… I highly recommend catching up on this if you haven’t yet (especially if you are a fan of Mike Judge’s work).
One last glorious moment of procrastination
These two black labs figured out how to ride the slide alone:
And these two goldens, well, as the Reddit thread was titled, “I’ve seen human parents less enthused about their newborns.”